(249)

• "Tony" started this thread

Reputation modifier: 6

Level: 34 [?]

Experience: 603,657

Next Level: 677,567

Friday, December 16th 2011, 2:17pm

R.I.P. Christopher Hitchens

"Most important of all, perhaps, we infidels do not need any machinery of reinforcement."

My favourite anti-religion crusader has succumbed to esophageal cancer... Always irreverent, outrageous, I would have loved to watch him shred our ex-guru to pieces; he mostly focused on the evils of Western religions.

mangotree

Bronze Member

Reputation modifier: 4

Level: 28 [?]

Experience: 174,411

Next Level: 195,661

Friday, December 16th 2011, 11:52pm

Hitchen's on the "gentle sex"

gggggrrrrr......

Roman

Silver Member

(212)

Reputation modifier: 5

Level: 33 [?]

Experience: 516,966

Next Level: 555,345

Saturday, December 17th 2011, 3:27pm

Sexist but charming ;) He was definitely controversial figure with his thoughts he was all over the spectrum between liberal and conservative. But he was also the one who would say many times things nobody else would dare to say as a part of a public discourse. There were things I didn't like about him like his sexism and support for war in Iraq but there were things I loved about him like his sharp mind, his straightforward talk about religion and religious ideals. His piece about Mother Teresa named Hell's Angel created uproar of believers around the world against him at the time. If you watch it
you will see quite unconventional look at so called "saint" from the position of rationality and facts.
Nobody is perfect and he wasn't either. He never claimed that. I will miss his controversial presence in public discourse, that's for sure.