You are not logged in.

• "mission.possible" started this thread

Reputation modifier: 5

Level: 22 [?]

Experience: 40,927

Next Level: 49,025

Monday, July 14th 2014, 8:51pm

Books (about leaving cults)

In my post-DIDL days, I've found that reading about other peoples' experiences about leaving the cults helped me to put things into prespective and to validate my own experiences with more confidence.

The books that I've read describe the lives of spiritual seekers who have awakened to realisation that they are being abused, misused or lied to by spiritual leaders, and also by some of its members. What I find interesting is that after working so much and sacrificing the best years of their lives to their guru without any personal gain, guru got rid of them so effortlesly, so easy. Still, many of present DIDL organizers believe that something like that cannot happen to them, that there is special connection with their guru and that he values them. But in the mind of a narcisist, we are all expendables.

Here are the books
(you can click on titles for more info):

Betrayal of Spirit and Cult Survivors Handbook (Nori Muster) - author is former ISKCON (Hare Krishna) member who was writer for one Hare Krishna journal;

Guru Looked Good (Marta Szabo) - author is an former Siddha Yoga (Muktananda, Gurumayi etc.) member who was working in organizing SY events, seminars and journeys to India;

The Orange Robe (Marsha Low) - author is an ex-Ananda Marga sannyasini (nun) who opened many AM centers around the world;

An Unquenchable Thirst(Mary Johnson) - author is an ex-Catholic nun in the order founded by Mother Teresa of Calcutta. She lived and worked in a convent in USA and Italy;

Holy Hell(Gail Tredwell) - author is a former long-time personal attendant to Amma Amritanandamayi (Ammachi, the Hugging Saint). She lived and worked more than 20 years in ashrams in India, very near to Ammachi.

Cartwheels In a Sari(Jayanti Tamm) - author is a daughter of early Sri Chinmoy's American devotees. She describes her life from being born into Sri Chinmoy's cult as a "specially chosen one", through living a life of trusting disciple, to leaving that cult altogether.

There is also a great video-documentary about abuse done by Sai Baba, called The Secret Swami (you can find it on YouTube).

If you have read something that helped you, and you wish to share it with us, feel free to do so - it may help someone else, too.
Thanx!

:drinks:

PallasAthene

Silver Member

(193)

Reputation modifier: 6

Level: 32 [?]

Experience: 435,887

Next Level: 453,790

Monday, July 14th 2014, 9:29pm

:)

falseswamiji

Silver Member

(304)

Reputation modifier: 8

Level: 33 [?]

Experience: 462,632

Next Level: 555,345

Tuesday, July 15th 2014, 11:22am

thank you MP, I've included similar list on the paramliar site and I'll update it with your data.
Also check this one if you haven't- it's free and available in pdf : http://www.strippingthegurus.com/

• "mission.possible" started this thread

Reputation modifier: 5

Level: 22 [?]

Experience: 40,927

Next Level: 49,025

Wednesday, July 16th 2014, 1:11pm

thank you MP, I've included similar list on the paramliar site and I'll update it with your data. Also check this one if you haven't- it's free and available in pdf : http://www.strippingthegurus.com/

Excellent idea - could you please share a link to your list here, too?

"Stripping the Gurus" - I've read it, but I don't trust completely to such "evidences" because they seem based on second-hand "experiences" and theories... But there are some good questions in it, too.