You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to Beyond Orange. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "mission.possible" started this thread

Reputation modifier: 5

Level: 22 [?]

Experience: 40,295

Next Level: 49,025

Tuesday, April 28th 2015, 10:31am

Warning Signs of a Cult

If you are spiritual seeker and think about joining or leaving a spiritual or religious group, please get yourself informed first - it may save you many, many years of suffering and regret.

I have found one (of many) list that seemed quite useful if you wish to check how your group stands. For easier viewing I have removed descriptions from each cathegory, because the list is quite extensive and long.

Full article with each cathegory described is at http://www.enlightened-spirituality.org/…onal_cults.html

"Warning Signs of Dysfunctional Cults

It’s hard to keep any shorter this list of approximately three dozen warning signs. All points covered are crucial. They constitute a useful set of criteria as our traditional religions and new religions unfold in this new millennium. Unbelievably, some cults (like Scientology) have violated almost all these warning signs!

* Craving for followers

* Intimidating indoctrination procedures that psychologically break a person down

* Expensive entry fees or initiations.

* A hidden agenda that becomes known to a group member only after s/he is heavily invested in the cult membership.

* Excessive demands on the time and energy of the group members.

* Trapping or holding onto members.

* Theological thought control.

* Cultivation in members any attitude of childish dependency upon exploitative, authoritarian leaders who require absolute, exclusive devotion.

* Chronic group feeling of righteous anger, revenge, turmoil, anxiety, shame, guilt, self-pity, fear, despair, mindless euphoria, ego-excitement, adrenaline rushes, self-inflated fervor or futuristic anticipation.

* Flat affect (zombie-like absence of emotions). Excessively automatic, robot-like behavior. Radically de-automatized behavior (produced via sleep deprivation or sensory overload) that breaks down normal, responsible functioning.

* Crusading agenda to save the world or convert all souls to “the true way.”

* Proud feeling of being the chosen people, of possessing the exclusive truth or means of salvation, or being superior to those outside the group. Heavily polarized “us-them,” adversarial thinking, projection of one’s own shadow qualities onto others, seeing outsiders as homogeneously negative, devoid of positive qualities (“they” are “bad” and “we” are “good”).

* A chronic need to find and persistently maintain enemies inside or outside the group.

* Paranoia—either delusions of grandeur by the leader or group, or self-pitying feelings of being persecuted and misunderstood by outsiders.

* Turning cult members into watched objects who have no privacy in their solitary behavior or relationships with others.

* Ganging up on individual members to criticize or humiliate or coerce them; “working on them” to violate their own sense of conscience or autonomy.

* Preventing contact with outsiders, ex-members, and even certain fellow members of the dysfunctional cult.

* Blind obedience to harmful or unwise directives from on high.

* Hoarding of money, power or prestige by anyone— corruption and intrigue are not far behind.

* Double standard of behavior for leader(s) and members.

* Reinforcing or excusing unethical behaviors (killing, injuring, lying, stealing, plagiarism, bribing, gossiping, sexual misconduct).

* Suppression of dissent, doubt, critical thinking, sincere questions, discussion or independent judgment.

* Irrational thinking or magical thinking.

* Anti-scientific thinking.

* A “uni-level” obsession with health and wealth on the material plane (Richard Anthony).

* Emphasis on quirky, flaky, untested ideas. Obsession with fantasy or mythic thinking.

* Intellectual parochialism or isolation from other worldviews; censorship or control of what people read

* Orwellian double-speak (Deikman: “manipulating language to suggest a meaning and value opposite to the real situation”).

* Beware enforcement of conformity in apparel and external behavior. These are not, in themselves, negative things, but, like new names for members, can be part of an overall unhealthy cult strategy to amplify insider/outsider dichotomies, destroy autonomy and insure compliance.

* Fascination with secrets or occult teachings and practices that promote an insider-outsider split.

* Excessive fascination with altered states of consciousness.

* Over-use of junk food or adherence to unhealthy diets.

* Beware exploitation of sex in any form.

* Legalistic obsession with myriad rules.

* Obsession with invisible or other-worldly entities or forces other than God."

Elisabeth

Bronze Member

(93)

Level: 29 [?]

Experience: 208,175

Next Level: 242,754

Thursday, April 30th 2015, 9:11am

Thank you, Mission.Possible. I've spent quite a bit of time reading through the link you gave, and got lost...jumping from one great page to another. I liked the page on "What truly makes an enlightened being"...can't remember the correct heading. That was very interesting.
Maybe we should put our heads together and make another google website, I took mine down a few years ago, but I think another site would be good, listing again all the points that troubled me about Sw M, maybe listing everything that goes on in the organisation, and comparing it to, or linking it to indicators of cult behaviour.
Education is so important, Education and knowledge about people's selfish motives, hidden agendas, manipulative strategies and downright evil intent.

Friday, May 1st 2015, 8:15am

I am happy that you find these pages useful. Yes, you are right, education and knowledge are realy important. We have listed many instances of DIDL-guru's foul plays on this site, and I hope we will continue to share more.

Elisabeth

Bronze Member

(93)

Sunday, May 10th 2015, 10:13am

Yes, true. But it is very time consuming to read through it all. A quick-to-read concise website with all the main points in relation to Y..L and the Swami, that would be good.
Reason I'm posting now is the fact that they are milking the Nepal disaster to get funds. Every time there is a major disaster, they are asking for money, with the promise to send it on to the people who need it. I don't believe it. How about the Swami giving his own money to the people in Nepal? He's got money, heaps of it.

vlasta

New User

(29)

Reputation modifier: 2

Level: 17 [?]

Experience: 12,680

Next Level: 13,278

Wednesday, May 13th 2015, 4:25pm

It is very important always verify to whom did Swami give money from gathering.
It is not enough only confide blindly in it what he say, but verify and see the documents.
Especially if money are for disaster like Nepal !
But I think, there are a lot of people they blindly believe him everything

Elisabeth

Bronze Member

(93)

Tuesday, May 19th 2015, 5:12am

Totally sucks. I'm sure there are proper channels for Nepal donations, and Y.L is not one of them, that for sure. It'll be one dollar for you, one for me, and one for the ashram and a cent to Nepal.

Tuesday, May 19th 2015, 10:30pm

Although I think that it would be really great to make a clear and easy-to-follow list/website with of all the wrongs done by Swampy & DIDL, my personal interests are directed towards the education and help dedicated to cult abuse victims, to ex-DIDL members and bhaktas, in order to help recognize and regain what we've lost in a proces.

And we have lost so many things. We've lost a part of our common sense, our self-respect, our friends and our spiritual comunity. We've all been shamed for having our own opinion, for doubting Swampy's intentions, for leaving the organization...The worst of all was that the sexual victims were shamed for speaking out, which is almost a norm when the abuse happens - people are prone to shame the victims, and victims are prone to feel the shame, as if they had done anything wrong.

Many of us have lost trust in our own judgement, in spirituality, in ability to be thaught by others. Many of us have closed down unable to live openly and freely in fear of not making yet another mistake. And so many wounds are not even addressed within our ex-DIDL comunity...we are more or less left to mend our lives alone.

Besides listing the wrongdoings, I think it would be realy important to share our realisations about what works, what is helpful, how to keep our spiritual life alive after such a disaster. It would be great if we would share our experiences about how not to "throw the baby out with the bathwater". Any ideas?

Elisabeth

Bronze Member

(93)

Wednesday, May 20th 2015, 11:47am

Watched Steven Hassan last night, in it he mentioned that love is more powerful than brain washing. It was the love of his family that got him away from a cult. I agree with your idea of sharing what works to rebuild your life after a cult experience. Just found this interesting page: http://lifehacker.com/5672291/how-to-manipulate-people 8)

Elisabeth

Bronze Member

(93)

Wednesday, May 20th 2015, 11:32pm

Mission.possible you said: "how to keep our spiritual life alive after such a disaster?" - for me the biggest break-through happened through listening to almost a hundred Near-Death experiences of people. Clearly showed me that "God", the "Light" or whatever you want to call is, is waiting there for us, and that my mum is going to be there, too. And my brother. And in the meantime, bush walking and my garden make me feel close to God.

Thursday, May 21st 2015, 7:16pm

Elisabeth, it's really great that you have something to hold on to. Thank you for sharing and also for mentioning Steve Hassan - today I watched his short video for the first time and I like the way he thinks:
:ten:

Elisabeth

Bronze Member

(93)

Friday, May 29th 2015, 2:59am

I"ve actually communicated with Steve Hassan about 4 years ago, via e-mail. He suggested to me that I try and fill out his "BITE" model. (Behaviour, Information, Thought and Emotions - the control of them in a cult) I think I even posted it here on the forum, asking people to help. Nobody was interested. Now I'm trying to do it on my own, using the information on this forum to fill it out, step by step. Mission.possible, maybe you would want to also fill it out. Everyone who was in the organisation should do that, and ideally someone very eloquent could make a good document out of it. But this forum is totally dead. I probably have to do it on my own.

1 user apart from you is browsing this thread:

1 guests

Used tags

cult, warning signs